January 5, 2009

london calling


I would love to go to London for a weekend sometime in January. There's two exhibitions I'm dying to see: Hussein Chalayan at the Design Museum and Mark Rothko at the Tate Modern. Though Chalayan is not one of my favourite designers, I do admire him for his vision and experimentalism. Besides, as The Telegraph states: "Also on show will be 'Airborne', which comprises a dress of Swarovski crystals and more than 15,000 flickering LED lights, and 'Readings', which features a dress with over 200 moving lasers, creating a brilliant spectacle of light and colour." And who wouldn't want to see that?

As for Rothko, him and I go back three years, when I first visited New York and the MoMa. It was the first time I saw one of his works in real life. Before, I didn't understand what the fuss was about, but after, I developed something of an unhealthy obsession with him. To be in a room with only Rothko, ah the bliss it must be.

The pound is really cheap today as well, so that shouldn't keep me. But I have so many trips ahead already, I figure it'd be safer to save the money... Sacrifices!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how wonderful it would be to go to London! I am right up there with you. If only, if only. Mark Rothko uses color in such beautiful ways, too...

    Never say never-- we will make it there!

    ReplyDelete