January 3, 2009

american wife


Curtis Sittenfeld is the new Tom Wolfe. Only better. If there is any author out there, better able to describe the social mechanisms of American society and the innermost thoughts of its inhabitants, I'm not aware of him or her. Please introduce me to them, though, if they exist.

I read American Wife a while ago, and I honestly didn't expect I'd like it as much as I did. But if you've read Prep and loved that book, you will not be disappointed. The setting and protagonist are different, but the crystal-clear observations and brutally honest emotions are still there. It's nothing short of amazing. Besides, it'll give you an entirely different view on both the current (soon to be former) president and his wife. True, it's fiction, but it opens up new perspectives.

If you were looking for something new (and substantial) to read, here you go.

1 comment:

  1. i've been looking for something new & interesting to read, so thanks for the suggestion! :)

    xoxo,
    La C.

    ReplyDelete